Saturday, September 17, 2011

Go Utes

Dale has a way of making people feel comfortable around him. He has always been able to get people to smile, laugh, and break down social barriers. He continues this friendliness in his hospital room with all the staff that come to work with him. Dale does not play the roles of pity me, feel sorry for me. His role continues to emulate I am interested in you, tell me about yourself. Therefore, this week of Red vs Blue, Utes vs Cougars, there has been plenty of bantering with all entering Dale's hospital room. One nurse changed the dressing on his pic line, and took her sharpie out to tag something on the dressing. As she finished, she said: "There! Go Utes!" as though she printed that on the dressing. Nice job, nurse. Dale laughed and told her he probably deserved that! His spirits are doing okay, although there is so much anticipation of the unknown ahead--especially the side effects.

The bone marrow transfer (BMT) doctor came in while I was there so I was able to hear the next step in treatment. Once Dale is released Wednesday, home care nursing takes over and prepares Dale for BMT the next week with various injections and medications. Then, blood samples are taken to find for platelet levels and such for the onset of the BMT and possibly stem cell harvesting. At a later date, six to eight months, Dale's bone marrow and stem cell is then given back to him for recovery time. Personalized medicine, makes sense. That process is several hours at BMT center at the University, but not an overnight stay, so we will have to figure transportation. It will a new stage to experience. Side effects, the doctor said, will mainly be bone pains.

I started to go home and began crying three times, so I detoured and visited Mom & Reed. I had to turn off the auto pilot and think how to get to Mom's by meandering through some Foothill neighborhoods and then Sugarhouse neighborhoods. I am glad I live where I do, actually. It was a well needed nurturing visit.   I needed that. Thanks Mom & Reed.

No comments:

Post a Comment