Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1.5 million harvested stem cells

Yesterday turned out to be a good day which moved into a pain ridden night, but that is good. Dale's blood counts went up especially after they gave him platelets, so the harvest process began. That took from about 10:30 AM to about  4:30 PM. All the lab work is done between 7 AM until they make a determination to continue with the stem cell harvesting. The first is now completed. There will be 3-5 more days of this until they get the number necessary to give back to Dale at a certain time in this treatment regimen. They called last night to tell us they will continue the process again today, so here we go again. Pain set in later in the night, so Dale's night was not easy, but he is doing okay this morning-or he is just telling me much. They also indicated that the urinary infection was really from the bladder as a side-effect from chemo, so they were not too concerned.

I find it amazing that this process is happening. Who, what, how did this get discovered? I do not want to even think about the poor souls who were the test patients in the early years. But Dale is another data point on research and that can't be all that bad as it moves the knowledge forward. I am convinced that the stories of people need to be told and learned from. I held faculty meeting yesterday and told them just a little about Dale's cancer, then sent link to the blog. Why I needed to do so, I am not so sure, but now, it is out there, and I will just plug away and do my best. Perhaps there will be understanding when I don't know what is going on is because I frequently am in a fog.


No comments:

Post a Comment