Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What else?

My visit yesterday was sad. Dale's body is not taking in the red blood like it should. When he was admitted to Huntsman from the University's ER Saturday, they said his count was zero. I nodded and have no idea what that means. The nurse last night explained a bit. The absolute neutrophil count was zero, up to only 200 yesterday (300 this morning) and should be 1500. They have given him at least 4 pints of blood that I know of, platelets, and antibiotics, and then eventually nutrients of some sort in a big white bag (TNC?). He will not be able to eat anything until the colitis and diverticulosis is in check as well as other things I have no knowledge about. Then they will gradually bring liquids for him, then "thicker" liquids and so on until his system can handle food.

She told us there were at least five other patients on the floor that had the same issues and so it is not unusual. I think it is unusual. It is for us. Not in the game plan.

Insurance for the bone marrow transplant called and said our insurance says it is out of network and will not cover it. HUH? Out of network? The U of U and Huntsman not in same network? Really? Insurance is another hassle to deal with on this journey. I will be asking a lot of questions today and figuring out what else to do. Tri-care Prime vs Tri-care Standard is the level of insurances that are conflicting about networks and coverage. How can insurance pick and chose if health care is necessary?

People ask what they can do for us, and my only reply is that I have no idea, and that this is all a mess. I am barely surviving moment to moment. Stress is powerful and overwhelming, yet a mechanism for survival. It is manifesting itself in my total existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment