Sunday, August 28, 2011

Watching Dale slowly die

Huntsman Cancer Center gave him blood and oxygen through the night. His voice is better, he is more stable. Duh! They take blood out for test after test, his bone marrow is compromised because of the chemo and they expect him to keep developing blood enough to build up for next chemo. Seems it should be standard procedure to add a pint of blood on the way out, "needed" or not. Maybe no one else in their data collection has had so much going on, but I suspect, we should have been advised better on expected recoup issues.

I made it home by 11:00 PM, should have called Mom, but did not-I barely made it in myself. It took everything I had to drive safely home. I kept praying that people would stay out of my way as I drove. They did and I also remembered where I live. Auto pilot.

Watching Dale slowly die is a lousy experience. I don't care what people say. It is lousy. He may recover in a year or more, he may not. He may get a few more months of life granted because of the cancer treatment. He may not. Amazing science does not know nor tell the whole story. There is so much more to cancer treatment than the hospital and medical sides.

This week Dale had constant watch from great neighbors giving their time to him. I can't thank them enough. This is going to be a long long process. I don't see them continuing with so much assistance for all of that time. If this is wearing on me, it must be wearing on them. However, they may have more heart, compassion, and time than me. I am thinking how to reconfigure rooms and furniture to make Dale more comfortable and able to be alone a little between hospital stays or at least feel like it is his space.

No comments:

Post a Comment