Sunday, August 14, 2011

It's not about me

I sat in church today with many faithful people, each with their stories to tell. I am, at this time receiving much attention, prayers, concerns, and questions. What about them? I hear bits and pieces of someone's dilemma and know they have needs also. Who is to say one is greater than the other? That is amazing to me the compassion and care friends, neighbors, family, and acquaintances have for one another.

It is good to be a part of so many caring people, each doing their part to lighten burdens of others. Many I have only known for a very short time yet they are very willing to serve us. I sat by one gal whose needs are as great as mine, yet she made sure I felt her concerns for Dale and me. Her time in asking me about my needs fascinated me because I really don't know much about her, although I did learn her name today. This got me to thinking. Do we need each other, to serve, to care for, to understand, to have compassion for another in order to be happy? Doesn't it just feel good to help someone in need? Losing yourself in the service to others makes so much sense. It feels good to give, and now that Dale and I are recipients of such service we feel the goodness of genuine voluntary service. Our joy is great as I venture to state, as is the joy of those serving.

It isn't about me and our huge need of support, service, time, understanding, and hope. There is a greater plan in this journey. One that I am learning to appreciate more and more as the journey continues. I may end up alone much earlier than I thought and I am finding I do not need to be alone. I can always serve others and will know happiness in doing so. My little family of Me, Myself, and I will need to become We, Ourselves, and Us (which, by the way will extend beyond My Dale and I). A hard lesson to learn for someone who has been able to do it on my own most of my life. I am working on it!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it interesting, how we are taught our entire life what service is and it isn't until we are on the receiving end do we begin to truly understand the real power of the principle of service.

    Praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete