Friday, August 5, 2011

Two Days Home

I got home from San Diego late on Wednesday. Dale got home several hours before that and was very pleased to see me arrive safely home. He had so many experiences to tell me about that I was up even later. I am not good without sleep, although it was fun, yes, actually fun, to hear Dale's excitement of his learnings, ponderings, and feelings. He is working hard to keep a spiritual focus.

Dale has minimal energy but yet needs to be as productive as possible. He is able to think match clearer than while on chemo. That stuff plays havoc on a body. I see dark circles around his eyes, which is not normal for him. Perhaps this is one of those signs I will need to look for during this whole experience.

He should be home for 14 days before the next round of chemo. Some lab work tomorrow and Wednesday will tell doctors what is going on and if treatment need adjustments for longer at home or shorter times between therapies.

A friend mowed the lawn last night. He asked if I wanted it bagged and how short to cut it. Thinking that a bit shorter would make up for the twice a week mowing that Dale normally did, would make it last longer between mowings. Unfortunately, 10 bags and three hours later, it was done. It normally takes about 30 minutes. So now what do I do with all that bagged grass? He was smiling each time I came around in amazement of what I had requested of him--after all, he told me, it was his idea to bag and more shorter! Before this whole deal is over, i may lose friends. I had better be careful about what I ask for.

Doctors decided the pick line should not stay in until the next chemo--to much of a risk for infection. That is our main concern from now on. I have sanitizer everywhere for me, him, and anyone that comes around. Guess I best carry it with me also. They have also told us that if his temperature got to 101, I would have to get Dale immediately to U of U Emergency Room. No other place, because it would take any other place too long to get to their protocol for mantle cell lymphoma. No pressures.

Dale's first day home brought visitors from neighbors. He enjoyed it. As I come back into my work scene, people ask how my summer was. Sometimes I need to tell them the answer. But I also think I had better warn them...are you sure you want to know? Sit down. Secretaries are all very supportive, my boss tells me I have a very long rope to work with to get through it. I work with a huge family of friends. I will need them. I already feel their love and concerns.

Dale and I thank everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment