Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Two pints of blood

I am so confused with Dale's blood levels. He had to wait two extra days before beginning the next round of chemo due to high blood levels. Today, he received two pints of blood because of low blood levels. Chemo is completed for this round, however, blood chemo level must be 0.05 before he can come home. I think he told me it was at 0.5 or 0.7, therefore, he has to drop several points before being released. How does he do that?

Dale was tired when I arrived with one pint of blood finishing up and by the time I left, he was more coherent and feeling better as the second pint began dripping into him. Each new pint of blood brings careful monitoring by the staff: vitals are taken each 15 minutes ensuring stability and watching for blood transfusion reactions.  I still say he is a science project continuously collecting data, adjusting, administering treatment, collecting data, adjusting, administering treatment, and so on and so on.

Research is important, and his data will be collected and added to the whole for the betterment of cancer treatment. Perhaps my research will be important somewhere to someone--once I get it going again. Fifteen minutes here, 1/2 hour there, makes for slow progress. But progress, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment