Monday, November 28, 2011

Immunization shots

Dale had a day of mostly rest. My visit to him interrupted his napping times or I was boring him with my daily reports because he kept falling asleep amidst my grand and exuberant storytelling of the day. Today I felt the burdens of cancer slightly lightened. Perhaps because this may be the final chemotherapy cycle. Each doctor is talking positively about Dale's progress. Appointments for bone marrow biopsy, colonoscopy, and PT scans are in the next couple of weeks to determine progress and when the next phase (bone marrow transplant) begins. We did not think this would happen until March or April, so this is very good information. However, not to get all excited yet, I will wait for the results of tests for higher levels of excitement. I will, though, relish in the possibility of less time in chemotherapy for Dale. If you know of, are, or knew of someone experiencing(ed) chemo, give them as much love, patience, hope, and comfort as you can muster together to do. It is a tough ride.

Once this whole treatment process is completed, Dale's immune system will be as it was 60 years ago--or in other words--he will have to get re-immunized for diseases like small pox, chicken pox, polio, whooping cough, measles, mumps, etc. I had not thought of that at all, but it makes sense. Kill the cancer that has killed the immune system, then rebuild the immune system. What will that be like? Reactions to immunizations for sure, but this should be better than getting the above diseases as an adult--I can only hope!

Dale's arm will be a pin-cushion from upcoming immunization shots


A friend and her daughters assisted me with house work the other day. Appreciation granted! We got it done in record time and it feels great.  It is better to clean when Dale is not around because of floating dust and breathing people (and company and direct help to me is nice).

No comments:

Post a Comment