Monday, November 21, 2011

Smile

I listen to classical music 99% of the time when I listen to music. Friends make fun of me. There is a radio station advertisement on now that says something like "people think they have to have a PhD to understand classical music..." maybe so! As I listen, I create my own feelings, words if I want, and enjoy the harmony, richness, and depth of tunes played. Many instruments work in perfection and shape the melodies of a symphony that I find enjoyable and relaxing. What is there to make fun of? A few days ago on one of my trips to Huntsman center alone in my car, I enjoyed such music, but this time it included a discussion with a violinist and her newest CD. The title song, although not a classical orchestra tune Smile brought many good thoughts to me in my processing of another Huntsman trip. The tenderness of the lone violin playing Smile was gorgeous! I felt the words ring through me from childhood memories of Nat King Cole's singing.


Smile though your heart is aching 
Smile even though it's breaking 
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by 
If you smile through your fear and sorrow 
Smile and maybe tomorrow 
You'll see the sun come shining through for you 

Light up your face with gladness 
Hide every trace of sadness 
Although a tear may be ever so near 
That's the time you must keep on trying 
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile 
If you just smile 

That's the time you must keep on trying 
Smile, what's the use of crying? 
You'll find that life is still worthwhile 
If you just smile



I needed that song in my processing moments and although it happened a few days ago, I feel it is appropriate to address. Smiles work. I need to do more. I actually giggled heartily today, felt good. There are many smile-worthy actions around me. Sometimes I forget to notice because I "wallow in my own sorrows."  Just smile. 


And by the way, Dale is doing just fine. One more day until 3B chemo. He is weak, but manages to spend his time talking to friends on his phone and making plans for the future. Good job, Dale!

No comments:

Post a Comment