Monday, February 6, 2012

Flying solo

Dale calls it "flying solo" when I am not here with him. Today was his first day flying solo. I actually left him to fend for himself for 6 1/2 hours. I came home to pick him up for a doctor's appointment and he was sound asleep. He wore himself out with the vacuum cleaner (he wore his face mask to protect him from the dust). Just upstairs, Mom. He emotionally felt better, but physically, tired. That is okay, if he does just a little bit at a time, more strength will be gained.

His primary doctor appointment was fine with that doctor commending Dale on having a great attitude and the will to win the cancer journey. A friend of his with the same cancer is not doing well with the treatments. Dale is way ahead! Good job, Dale. The doctor ordered Dale's blood test updating non-cancer related health conditions, which he said look pretty good. He did not even add in that comment of "considering you had over 1,300 hours of chemotherapy, your health is pretty good," Lots of rest, weight loss, and being in a semi-retirement environment may have helped the health improvements....

Getting back to work was a good thing to do. I really do enjoy my job, the people I am with, and the profession I have chosen. Or perhaps it chose me. Now that Dale is doing so much better, I am able to focus and work on my proposal, and am getting closer to submitting to committee chair for the next steps and its defense to my committee. Feels good. Perhaps I am flying solo, too, as I prepare for my dissertation research.

No comments:

Post a Comment