Monday, January 16, 2012

Fully grafted

Two pints of blood today came with good news about Dale's own blood: he is fully grafted. Yesterday's count was 200, today at 1000, yet he still needed blood. I believe the white count was good but the red count not good enough. They were pleased with his quick progress. The earliest he could come home would be Thursday, the latest...couldn't guess. It all depends on blood counts, his skin condition from the diarrhea, and eating. He had a sandwich yesterday, it went right through. Today he stayed with Glucerna shakes-a drink like Ensure for diabetics as they are trying to get him eating and off of the TPN. We went for a short walk in the BMT halls, got back in time for diarrhea. His nurse is incredible and anticipates his needs and makes sure they are met.

Dale feels better, the soreness is less, butt still there. He is positive and upbeat and getting excited about coming home. Me, on the other hand, feel some anxieties setting in. Much could go wrong at home and I get to deal with it in the hopes of knowing what to do at critical times. Granted, I have learned much in the past several weeks, however, the way they talk is a bit intimidating:

  • He could turn in a minute, and he won't know it
  • He'll have to wear the mask in public all the time
  • He'll be good one moment and turn for the worse, the next 
  • No sick people around, especially children
  • Be careful in what he eats
  • Wash everything, peal it, well-done cooking
  • Clean the carpets, no dust, sanitize everything!

Perhaps I will just get a case of Glucerna, make him wear gloves and mask 24/7, and watch videos. We incorporated many of the guidelines along the way, however, now it is imperative to do so. But that is not where the anxiety comes from. I think it is the high demand of constant care Dale has gotten used to at Huntsman, that I will be expected to do. They put nurses on shifts for a reason. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...two weeks, just two weeks and then what? At least the critical weeks will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment