Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Normal days

A teacher expressed his understanding and care for Dale and I as we venture valiantly through this abyss of cancer. A staff member questioned what happens if I get sick. Fortunately, that question was overheard by another, giving the answer: "She'd have to live with us!"

I am set! No worries. Friends are taking care of me, cuz I sure need taking care of as I take care of Dale. Kindness, smiles, I care, and so on, gives strength. Thank you.

It seems sad, too, that Dale and I are too adjusted.

"I just don't feel too well, but its okay, I'll be fine after the home-care nurse comes today for lab work."
"Okay, give me a call when you find out if you need a blood transfusion. Have a good day! Luv you, bye."
"I don't want to bother you at work, but okay, I'll call. Luv, you, bye."

"Oh dear, did you have a situation today?"
"Yeah, twice."
"Sorry, Honey. How do you feel now? Have you eaten anything? What about your medications?"
"I'm okay, just tired. Cheese and some other stuff."
"No meds yet, huh?"
"How was work?"

This is our life right now and our discussions seem so regular. I recall, looking around at all the normality going on around me and wondering how people can be so normal when my life turned upside down. I am very grateful for regular things happening, though. Dale and I do as many daily regular things as possible together. For me, the interacting with varieties of students, teachers, and parents, working with the politics, economics, and promises bring a sort of understanding and support of those of us that need to feel, it really is just another day. Yet that day can be cherished more so, with the non-normality going on inside our worlds. Sadly, though, Dale is not able to go to work or much else to get a feeling of normal. Normal is good, but complacency with his health condition is not. We need to be alert enough to notice changes that warrant critical care times. I believe we are, the adjustments we make are the survival skills to do so. It takes 150% all the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment